Friday, May 31, 2013

Landscape Final

     My intentions with this project were to combine my skills at creating depth using the one vanishing point technique with my representation of a landscape. I also intended to combine aspects of architecture and geometric shapes with natural, organic forms within nature. I came to understand nature as any representation of your visual observations from a certain vantage point or points. With this in mind I took to creating a piece of art that represented all of these aspects. I think that this work is representative of my artistic voice because it reinforced my tendency to use geometric shapes and more "industrial", manmade subjects. However, I also stretched myself by using natural subjects as a guide. I decided to use three different vantage-points side-by-side. I thought that this would create an interesting,  "trippy" composition, in which reality could be questioned. I also created a space that was "inside" using arches and beams to create a vaulted ceiling.
     I felt redeemed by the feedback from words like "trippy", "attention to shading" and "geometric and organic at the same time". From these responses, I can be sure that I was successful in representing my intentions, as shading and form were two of my main focuses. "Varying shades create texture" is a phrase that resonated with me because I was really working on using shading to create form in the trees and mountains. I think that this shading is a main way in which I developed my craft. At the beginning of the year, this area of my work was virtually non-existent and undeveloped. After a year of working, I  showed great improvement, which I am very proud of.
     I feel that I did stretch and explore in this project in my development of the architectural aspects and their contrast to the nature. The arches created a great sense of depth, and the "walls" were somewhat transparent, but their existence was unclear. I could have pushed myself specifically in my tree drawing. I feel like there is a bit of room to develop the trees specifically, as well as add more complexity to the drawing as a whole. I am proud of this work, and happy with the improvement that it shows when compared to the beginning of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment