Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hans Hofmann Final

     After much research and experimentation on and around the works of Hans Hofmann, I have finally established my final intentions for this project. I plan on using a large canvas, which I have made, and creating a work similar to that of Hans Hofmann. I plan on using acrylic paint for my composition. Most of my experimentation was on a small scale, however I am excited to see what my composition will look like in larger form. My main focus is on the expression of color and color interaction. Because of this, it is important that I choose my color compositions wisely and take time to think about the placement of certain colors next to each other. One of Hofmann's main concerns was creating a sense of depth and space using only the contrast of color. My main goal is to accomplish this task in my painting.
     In my experiments I tended to create a solid background using only one color, however, I think it will be more interesting experimenting with a multicolored, streaked background, which is more similar to the work of Mr. Hofmann. I believe that this will add yet another element of depth and contrast to my composition. These color's must also be chosen carefully. I think that I will use Art Medium to thin the paint and create a more translucent wash for my background. The shape of my color blocks is also important. To keep them rectangular and straight I will employ the use of tape. Using pastels to experiment limited the amount of texture that I was able to capture, but paint will allow me to create a nice textured work. I hope to succeed with my intentions and create a composition that is both pleasing and intriguing.


My Works








2 comments:

  1. your pictures are really good! i love the color schemes, and i think your plan to add a more multicolored background will be really good in creating depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I added much more color and I think that the composition turned out good. My colors help create depth, and I am very happy with how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete